Chewing Cud

>> Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Our pastor at our church tends to say at least one crazy thing per service that makes me question at least his political correctness if not his sanity. Honestly, it is one of the reasons I love the guy. I also find his sermons challenging on a personal level and in my opinion if I am not leaving church thinking, pondering, praying over what I have just heard, then I am not in the right place.

Anywho, back to the story. So one week he was talking about things that were meaningless to God and mentioned all those women who “paint the barn” in the morning, referring to putting on one’s makeup. Another week it was referring to Twitter a couple times as Tweeter (our church has a large college contingent and they caught on quick to the slip), and the list goes on and on. In fact, Mrs. Rockstar and I eagerly anticipate what he is going to say next.

So here it goes …. Sunday, as we were praying as a congregation, our pastor was praying that (and I am paraphrasing here) we would want to get to know the Word better, that we would look forward to diving into scripture and then … he said it … “that we would chew the cud of scripture.”

I have admitted this before in this space … but I am absolutely a third grader when it comes to this kind of stuff. I am sure that he was trying to make some reference to us turning over scripture, pondering it, and I guess like a cow munching on it to help us digest it … I think. My eyes popped open and my neck sprang back and I looked around at the rest of the congregation. Most of them still had their eyes shut …. Except for a couple guys in the student section … and me.

Hilarious. I wanted to laugh out loud. It was funny to me. The visual of a cow chewing on a Bible to help “digest” its contents was just more than I could stand.

I was able to recover and focus for the rest of the service, but for the past couple days … I cannot get my mind off chewing the cud of scripture. Then something happened today … as I was driving past the dairy farm this morning that I pass when I go a certain way to work … I saw it. I saw what my pastor was referencing. This wasn’t some joke, this was not a laughing matter. Not now brown cow. Behold … for I bring you a beast who has most definitely been chewing the cud of scripture…

4 Groupies:

Michael F October 6, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

Whole new meaning to the phrase "Holy Cow".

My mother-in-law calls such pondering "Getting the Goodie out of it". When she leads praise and worship I have played the same some for what seems like hours just making sure there was nary a goodie left in that song!

Did they give you the Southern Slang Dictionary when you crossed the SC border? If not you should go back and pick it up, very helpful.

The RockStar October 6, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

I will go back to the border and take a look. Maybe because I was actually technically moving north they thought I didn't need a manual

K-Dogg October 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

i would have certainly been holding back laughter too. my former youth pastor used to mispronounce words on a semi-regular basis and it always made me laugh. a few times it happened during prayer or sermons where he had to stop and make sure me and my friend were OK.

Burkulater October 22, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

Will you milk that thing for us? I'm thinking it may get us through cold and flu season.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP