Halloween - Good or Evil?

>> Thursday, October 23, 2008

So Mrs. Zombie had a post up the other day about the goodness or evilness of Halloween. A cowardly anonymous user had assaulted her as a pastor's wife and her ability to celebrate such a pagan day. With all the evil associated with the day, how could she justify dressing up her tribe and begging for candy.

Before I get a lot of anonymous hate mail, I just want to make clear that I am halloween neutral. I neither love it nor hate it. As a big time rockstar, it is a gold mine for me as I always play Dick Clark's rockin' halloween party every year. However when it comes to the holiday I am on the fence. Or should I say I WAS on the fence. Now after some important research on my part, not only am I not against Halloween, but I am now 100% for it.

Lets look at the facts, shall we? I will break this down with some help of wikipedia. For those of you who have already read my comment under Mrs. Zombie's post, sorry for the repetition, but the world has to understand that Halloween should be celebrated and here is why ...

"Hallow" is a word usually used as a verb, meaning "to make holy or sacred, to sanctify or consecrate, to venerate".

"Ween" is an alternative rock group formed in 1984. It is also another word for someone acting like a baby. How many times have you said to your spawn, "Please stop acting like a ween."

So what is Halloween really? It is a day where an alt rocker like myself (Ween definition #1) can celebrate a holy (Hallow definition #1) baby (ween definition #2).

So if Halloween is a day where Rockstars worship a holy baby, then the question has to be asked, "Who is the holiest baby of all times?" That is right ladies and gentlemen ... Baby Jesus

I rest my case. I have no choice. I must celebrate Halloween. Besides if I was unable to celebrate Halloween, then I would never be able to pull this picture out of the archives... I love this picture ... one of my all time favorites:

12 Groupies:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC October 23, 2008 at 7:50 AM  

If MY time allows, my kids are going to be involved in Heathcote Gardens scary gardens (they want to volunteer for the event). I figure it gets them off the street (which most houses are vacant anyway and cobwebbed over), it will be less candy in my house (and you know I am really working on that), and get them doing something creative. I don't have anything against halloween, I just wanted to share an opportunity to do something different. With as much serious stuff going on with me, its time for me to try to lighten up. Rock on...

Michael F October 23, 2008 at 7:59 AM  

As a former big time Rockstar I understand your need to rock out with the baby Jesus on Halloween!

In my opinion it does not matter what Halloween started out as, if Druids marched around Stonehinge or if an 80's Alt Rockband celebrated a holy baby that was ancient history (well 80's are not so ancient if you ask me). The simple fact of the matter is that Halloween is no more about the devil than Christmas is about Jesus anymore. Halloween is about imagination, make believe, and CANDY! Christmas has become to mean Santa Claus, presents, and eating way more Turkey than one human being should ingest. Lighten up folks and enjoy the Holidays.

"...Thats all I got to say about that Jenny..."

Zombie October 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM  

So it IS a Christian holiday then. I am so excited, I can call my "Spirit Filled" mom and tell her she can call off the demon casting this year.

K-Dogg October 23, 2008 at 2:12 PM  

crazy, i thought it was a pagan holiday where people used to worship their lost family or something. i guess i agree with michael though. ever since i've grown up it's been about dressing up and getting candy. no more, no less.

zombie's mom is hilarious!

The Wife October 23, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

Good insight. Why do I always forget about the Wiki.

Oh yeah...Your right. I was assaulted.

The RockStar October 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM  

Laura,

I hope you can overcome this travesty. Anonymous is meant to be kicked around. That is why it is an option. It is used for hours of endless enjoyment. Without cowards, it is only our friends hurting us to our face :-)

Vanessa October 23, 2008 at 10:05 PM  

That's the best explanation i've ever heard (read) yet!! LOL!! I know my kids are all about the candy! Costume looks great!!

Anonymous October 24, 2008 at 7:24 AM  

I love you in that dragonfly costume. You look HOT.

The RockStar October 24, 2008 at 6:39 PM  

Laura .. I wish. Then all my dreams would come true. Don't listen to Mrs. Rockstar. She may seem sweet on the outside but she is all tomato based meal on the inside

poseygirl October 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM  

Dude you are seriously twisted and I love it! I totally wish I could find a way to slip the tasty quote, "She may seem sweet on the outside but she is all tomato based meal on the inside
e." into some conversation, somewhere.

Thanks for knocking me off the fence about Halloween. As a kid it was major fun and I want my kids to have that too, but man, people don't make trick or treating very easy or enjoyable these days.

Still, we press on for the love of CANDY!!!!

The RockStar October 25, 2008 at 2:34 PM  

Indeed it is all for the love of candy ... AND Baby Jesus. Thank goodness for wikipedia

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP